Yesterday, my classroom door opened as I was waiting for a student to answer a question and in popped the face of a girl wanting to talk to her friend. When I asked her what she needed, she looked at me as if I was invading her personal space, ignored me, and asked her friend for something. (Fortunately, her friend was sitting in the front row next to the door.) I asked her politely to leave as she was bothering my class. She threw a nasty look at me again and looked pleadingly at her friend. The poor friend, caught between her friend and her teacher, didn't know what to do, so she sat there, mostly staring at the wall in front of her.
When the girl at the door still didn't leave by the third time I asked her to, she looked at me ,said, "F*!&" and closed the door.
Gasp! The class was already pretty quiet, but they went silent. They looked at the door. They looked at me. They waited for me to do something. I just thought, "Oh, great. Now I have to go do something about her so the class knows I take that word seriously."
I walked across the front of the room with 35 pairs of eyes following me all the way.
I opened the door, hoping she would have disappeared down the hallway.
No such luck. She was standing next to my door, as if waiting for me, slumped against the wall, still oozing attitude. Ugh.
"Why are you disrupting my class?"
"I need something from my friend."
"That doesn't give you the right to just walk in my room and disrupt everything."
"Well, I need something."
"Ok. Another question, why did you say the F word to me?"
"I didn't say it to you. If I wanted to say it to you, I would have said 'F you.'"
"Oh, ok. So why did you say the F word?"
"I didn't say it."
"Yes. Yes, you did. My whole class heard it, too. Now they all think you said it to me."
"Well, I didn't say it to you and I was just mad."
"So, tell me again, why are you here?"
"I'm in Seminary and I need to get my scriptures."
**
**
**
**
After I recovered (and didn't laugh... hard as that was), I told her should probably shouldn't be swearing if she's in Seminary and I opened the door and had the friend talk to her in the hallway.
Question of the day: How on earth do Seminary teachers have the Spirit in their classes if the kids are wandering around the halls saying the F word, of all words?!
I laughed and sighed, and felt all of the exhaustion that September has offered when I read your entry. I thought you handled it well.
ReplyDelete