Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Accident

On my way home today I was stopped to let someone turn right into a parking lot and WHAM! someone in a Chevy Blazer slammed into me. The water bottle that was sitting in the center console hit the dashboard, the sun glass holder above the rear view mirror popped open and I braced myself against the steering wheel to avoid hitting it.

I was freaked out! My stomach hurt where the seat belt tightened below my tummy and my first thought was of my baby.

We both pulled over to the side of the road and a guy who works at the car dealership we were in front of came over to check on us. The look on his face when he realized I'm pregnant was classic! He started babbling, "Are you ok? Do you need an ambulance? Are you going into labor? Can I help you?" He brought me water and helped me to a short wall on which to sit.  Since I was only about 5 minutes of driving time from school, pretty soon, groups of kids came walking passed. It's funny/weird how 9th graders can see that my car was rear ended and they automatically assumed that I'm one the who hit the other car. (I think I've failed them someone in not improving their logical thinking skills.)

the sad state of the trunk

close up of the bumper- you can see the trunk lid popping up

bottom of the bumper

the Blazer that hit me-- it had to be towed

The police came, the report was filed, and my hubby came to rescue me. He drove the damaged car and I drove his car (which, ironically was a rental because his car died and it was kid week and we have to have two cars on kid week). We had to go pick up the kids from their mom's house since she had to pick B up from school (I was detained!). On our way over there, the hubster told her H would need to miss her soccer game since he needed to get his pregnant wife to the ER to be checked out, she may or may not have responded with the retort, "You know she only has two games left, right." And then when she found out the soccer uniform was in the trunk of the damaged car, she may or may not have said, "Well, in my mom's car you can pull the seats up from the front to access the trunk. My mom has the same car."  I sure do love the compassion some people have! We ended up having to open the trunk to pull out the soccer uniform and then it refused to shut again since the trunk was completely crunched. H ended up staying with her mom so she could to go the soccer game, but B wanted to come with us, so he came to the ER and waited in the waiting room until we could get some friends to come get him.

I was checked in and immediately hooked up to a fetal monitor by a nurse from labor and delivery. We did all  sorts of tests and waited for what seemed like forever to be cleared to go home. We got to have a sonogram, which is always nice; seeing the baby move around is always reassuring, even if she is breach!

I ended up calling in sick for the next couple of days due to insane back pain and spent most of each day laying on the LoveSac trying not to move too much. I also had to watch my cute little car get towed away.




**********
The miracle of this whole event is that I didn't hit the car that was stopped ahead of me. If the girl who hit me had hit me about 1 second sooner, I would have been an Elantra sandwich between two SUVs. Also, the air bag didn't employ, even though I was hit hard enough that it should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment