It's Spring Break this week and let me just admit: I love not working outside of my house. I love being home and doing the business stuff that needs to be done (updating inventory on Amazon, shipping orders, tracking inventory we store at the house and at a storage unit, emailing customers, talking to my sister-in-law who sells on eBay for us, receiving new inventory from the shipping company, strategizing with the hubby about how to quickly sell the 1,000 boxes of laminating machines we just bought...). This business is how we can afford to let me quit teaching to stay home with our little girl next school year, so I am highly motivated to make it work!
I am even more motivated after reading an article a friend I work with posted about our school. Interesting read. When I pretended to be an outsider just reading it, it made me feel sort of awkward about attitudes of the teachers towards the hero principal portrayed. He seems like he came straight out of a made for tv movie. All the elements for a great story are there: rise from a difficult background, a mother's love, racial challenges, resistance among the followers to finally emerge triumphant. Read it. See what you think.
http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-35-17344-a-lesson-in-change.html
Other than business stuff, my week has been really nice.
Monday, I went to City Creek to meet up with T, my soon to be a missionary sister so we could start mission shopping. It was dang hard to find much that would work. Even Mr. Mac, the notoriously amazing missionary prep shop, had only one skirt/dress she could wear. The saleswoman apologized and said they've had to send back half of what their supplier has sent because no missionary girl could wear it. We found some cute shirts, though and a great pair of shoes from Clarks shoes-- where they have socks with a lifetime guarantee. My dad was with us at the shoe store and he loved the idea of lifetime socks so he bought her a complete week set with the idea that she'll send them back to get replaced. :)
We arranged to meet up with our future step-mother (um, yes, you read that right... my dad is getting remarried in one month... I know... if this is the first time you're hearing about this, it's probably a shock!) for lunch. We had a nice chat with her and got to know her better. She's really great and I'm excited for my dad to have a woman in his life again! Having become a step-mother myself last summer, I feel for her as she inherits 7 new kids to win the trust of (she has four kids of her own in their 20's), try to get to know and try to fill the "mom" role without hijacking our memories of our mom. She seems to be taking it all in stride so far.
Yesterday, I went to the morning at the park with the young moms in my ward. It was really fun to get to know them and listen to them talk and get their new mom advice. One woman in our ward has twins who are now 3 and she had a little 6 month old and so she's going to be selling off one set of all her baby stuff pretty soon... thankfully, I got the heads up and let her know I'm interested in whatever she has (crib, clothes, etc) so now I'm not worrying so much about accumulating some of that stuff. I'm beginning to realize how much stuff a baby needs. Ho.ly. cow. We found a stroller we really like at Burlington Coat Factory, and my internet sales savvy hubby found the exact model on eBay for less, so we'll be getting that soon!
Ok, this news of your dad is kind of interesting to me, who is she and do you like her?
ReplyDeleteI always wondered how people like that come to meet each other. Congrats to them. Busy year! Is there any major life event you will NOT have experienced in the last couple of years by the time the baby comes?
ReplyDeleteYou know, the first time Ike ever stepped foot in my classroom was my final day teaching. And I had been teaching under him 3 years! Definitely NOT a hero in my book!
ReplyDelete