Tuesday, January 29, 2013

shopping...

My youngest sister is a rockstar when it comes to buying clothes on the cheap! With a budget from the hubster, she and I went out to find me some maternity (gasp) clothes with which to make up my wardrobe.

Starting point: Motherhood Maternity at the Layton Hills Mall. We started there just to get a feel for what cute maternity clothes look like and get our first glimpse at what they cost. There, we found a cute cami, shirt and dress- all on sale for about $50. Nice!

Then, we went to Ross (after a brief stop back at Dad's house for T's glasses since she somehow forgot her contacts because the fog outside was so bad she didn't realize she couldn't see until we were in the mall). At Ross we found a pair of jeans, five shirts and a cami for $38!

Then, we headed to DI to check out pants. I was disappointed in their maternity selection (but if you ever need a pair of pink polyester pants or need a polygamist skirt, DI is the place!) but did manage to find a pair of khakis for $6. (I can't knock them too much, they do have some really nice things there).

Finally, we went to Target on a quest to find either a skirt or a pair of pants. The regular section didn't have much on sale and since our goal was to get as much bang for our buck as possible, we quickly headed towards the clearance rack were T found, amazingly, a skirt in just the right maternity size and I found a matching shirt-- both for $14.

I just have to throw this out there: T is incredible. She can find the cutest stuff on the rack that is also on sale. Almost everything I got was one of her finds. She's awesome.

Our grand total was $115.

We got: 7 shirts, a dress, a skirt, two pairs of pants and two camis.

Score!

We were super excited to go home and tell everyone how amazing we are at shopping and are very excited to shop for her mission (she's supposed to get her call tomorrow!!!).

************************

What's funny is I was telling this story at lunch to my good friend-- knowing she'd be impressed and sympathetic to not having a lot of money to spend on this particular type of clothes-- but I was overheard by a guy whose wife is also pregnant. When I said I spent $100, his response was, "I'm sorry. We got all of my wife's stuff at Motherhood."  He's already told me they spent over $300 on her clothes and he was so proud; his response sort of made me feel he was judging my hubby for not spending more money on me. When in fact, I'm the cheapskate and hubby actually gave T an envelope of cash he withdrew from the bank and told her to spend it on me.

1 comment:

  1. You got great stuff for a great price. When I was pregnant last year, I would literally only keep my maternity clothes on at work and then as soon as I got home, change into pj's and a big t-shirt. Also, check out Old Navy; they have some good stuff too...I LOVE their maternity yoga pants(they aren't as tight as leggings, though those are comfy, too)and actually wore those a few times to work last year with dressier shirts.
    You looked so cute today, darling little bump!
    Oh, and, half the stuff "you-know-who" says about his wife/pregnancy I just want to roll my eyes. My philosophy about maternity clothes: don't spend too much money and get an entire new wardrobe because by the time that baby comes, you want nothing to do with maternity clothes!

    ReplyDelete