Near the end of July, we decided that I would officially move in and be homeless for a couple of weeks before we got married. Part of our decision was based on the fact that my brother and his family needed to move out of their apartment in Orem and into a place in Salt Lake before their contract ran out down there. Also under consideration was the fact that my sister-in-law was due to have a baby August 5-- the day after the wedding. We wanted to get her moved so she could feel comfortable bringing home a new baby.
So, the week of July 22, I organized my stuff, loaded up my car, and unpacked in a neat, controlled, organized way! Before I brought over new stuff, I made sure everything else had a home. Then, suddenly, M decided we should just get me all the way moved, so Sunday arranged for us to borrow a truck for Monday evening and told me to pack on Monday. Monday morning, I went over to the house to watch not only B&H but also two kids of some friends of ours. All morning, I just cleaned the house, waiting to be able to go pack my condo. Around 2pm we finally made it to my condo and I frantically put stuff in boxes and suitcases and giant IKEA bags. The men arrived before I was ready and all of a sudden we were just throwing things places to get the truck loaded. As we were trying to pack and move, there were five kids running around that we tried to keep outside!
After loading the truck twice, a mini van once and my car another time, we had everything pretty much moved to the house. The house was a wreck! We had set up the living room and it looked awesome but now, it was chock full of boxes and bags and random pieces of furniture. We decided to keep my bed and sell his, so his queen bed and box spring were in the family room against the wall and the whole thing was a mess!
For the rest of the week, I watched B&H once (and we spent the day at the Pioneer Day Parade and also at some fun zone thing with their mom) and then I went to my dad's house to hang out with my sister who came in from Florida for the wedding. At least up there, I felt less homeless!
Thursday (July 27) of that week we made lemonade mix-ins for the wedding reception and finally got into bed around midnight. I woke up to a phone call at 1:47am. It was my brother, who apologized for waking me up but then said they were at the hospital getting ready to have a baby and could I drive down to get my niece. Needless to say, I was suddenly awake and ready to go! At 2am I woke up my sisters at the house (Dad and Tara and Will were all on trek with the stake) to tell them I was leaving and why, then I drove the hour from Layton to Provo to get my little 2 year old niece.
She was wired at 3am because she'd been sent to bed at 8pm and by the time she woke up to go to the hospital at 1am, she'd had enough sleep! I was exhausted and kept nodding off as we watched "Cinderella" but she'd pat me until I woke up to ask me questions, mostly if she could watch Shrek! At 4am I got the text that the new baby was here! Finally, around 5am, she fell asleep when I convinced her that sleeping on a blanket was better than sleeping on a box!
At 8am my brother came home for the morning and he set to boxing more stuff and cleaning (we had arranged to move his family on Friday/Saturday and Friday was now here!). We spent the afternoon at the hospital with the new little one and in the evening, the sisters from Layton drove down and my fiancee came down and we started boxing and loading up all the vehicles we had.
It was craziness with three kids under the age of three running here and there and all the rest of us trying to pack and move. We got all of the vehicles unloaded and sent back to Orem. Saturday morning we rented a truck for the day to try and expedite the moving process so my sister-in-law would have a home to go to when she got out of the hospital later that day. It was crazy busy and hotter than heck, but we got them moved and a couch and bed set up before the new baby came home.
With three helpers still on Trek (and unaware of the new addition) we did our best with the people we had around. And at the end of one insane week, everything finally came together.
I figured Mom had her guardian angel duties cut out for her that week:
Moving two children
another child and grandchildren traveling cross country
husband and two kids on Pioneer Trek
daughter-in-law having a new baby
No comments:
Post a Comment