Have you ever noticed that the phrase "be right in" has different meanings based on what role you play?
As a patient, it sounds like you won't have to wait more than five minutes but then you inevitably end up having to wait for much, much longer than that.
A couple of weeks ago, I was at the eye doctor in an emergency appointment because of some pain under my eye lid. Every person I talked to told me I would "be right in". I waited in the lobby for about 20 min. Once the nurse got me settled in the room she told me the Doctor would "be right in" and I waited for about another 20 min. She came back in and said he'd "be right in" and I waited another 10 min before I actually saw him.
(FYI: I ended up having a protein build up under my eye lid and was told to not wear contacts for three weeks. I got permission to wear them for my wedding for as long as I could stand them.)
Today, I was at a different Dr because of a weird allergic reaction on my leg and foot and I when I was told "be right in" each time, I only waited about 5 min each time.... Impressive!
ARRRRRGH! Contact trouble on your wedding day. I jinxed you. Sorry.
ReplyDeleteAnd they don't say "be right in" at our doctor's office because they know it would be a bold-faced LIE every time.